Wednesday, October 15, 2008

What's in a name?

Cellphones -- is that even an appropirate term anymore? Does anyone make just a cellphone these days? The reason I ask is we got an offer from Verizon yesterday to upgrade our phones and our service. It almost read like "you'd better take advantage of this offer now because soon, you're not going to have a choice, you'll only be able to have a device that offers phone service, text messaging, the Internet, music and video downloads, GPS, remote dishwashing, digital massage and anything else you could possibly imagine". Ok, this is good stuff, so very handy, and I can see where this would be THE device for some people. Howver, all I want is basic communication. I don't have time for all that other stuff as I have a busy life beyond digital entertainment and communication. BTW, as a geographer, I never get lost so GPS would be a waste of money. Anyhow, don't tell me what I need, sell me what I want. Less can be more. I'll keep you posted on where this goes.

No comments: